If you’ve ever had a sinus infection, you know how miserable it can be. Sinus infections are a common problem, and they can become markedly worse during cold and flu season.
Sinus congestion usually occurs as a result of a respiratory ailment such as a cold, cough, or allergic reaction. When you feel a sinus problem coming on, a highly effective sinus infection remedy you can use is probiotics – directly into the sinus passages. The most effective way to deliver this is by putting it right into your porcelain neti pot.
Can’t use a neti-pot or have a child that hasn’t been able to master the use of this type of apparatus? Then, I would suggest a nasal saline spray from the drug store and use that instead. My sons use one with great results when they are congested.
Here’s how the simple protocol works. You will be delighted how easy and effective this sinus infection remedy is. It may very well save you a trip to the doctor and a prescription for antibiotics.
Natural Sinus Infection Remedy
1. Empty the contents of a probiotic capsule into your neti pot (I like this one) or empty nasal spray bottle. Alternatively, a bulb syringe can be used, but the ingredients will have to be mixed separately and then sucked into the bulb once fully blended and ready to use.
2. Add warm filtered water.
3. Add a bit of sea salt and baking soda if desired – you won’t need very much (I always just guess – but no more than about 1/8 teaspoon)
4. Mix ingredients together carefully with a spoon or shake bottle after screwing on the lid (nasal spray bottle).
How to Use
5. If using a neti-pot: while standing over a sink, insert the nozzle of the neti-pot into one nostril, and make sure there is a good seal between the nozzle and your nostril. Lean forward, close the back of your throat and breathe through your mouth. Then, allow the contents of the neti pot to enter one nasal opening and rinse through to exit out the other nasal opening. This may take up to two or three minutes if your nasal passages are congested. Repeat on the other side.
Try to avoid swallowing the water that goes into the nostrils, and blow your nose when finished. If using a spray bottle: insert the nozzle of the spray bottle into one nostril while covering the other. While compressing the pump on the nasal spray bottle, inhale deeply. Repeat several times on both sides. Be prepared to spit out anything left after inhaling the mist into the sink.
6. When finished, wash out your neti-pot or spray bottle with warm water and soap and allow it to dry before using it again.
How to Use this Sinus Infection Remedy
A friend of mine had a sinus infection that had been going on for 5 – 6 weeks. She had tried everything that was natural – aromatherapy (breathing steam with essential oils), apple cider vinegar in water, grapefruit seed extract in water, colloidal silver nasal spray, taking the best probiotics orally, oil of oregano in water (which she had used in the past with great success for sinus problems), and various homeopathic and other natural preparations.
Nothing was doing the trick and she was getting desperate!
What finally worked!
As a final attempt to resolve the problem naturally before resorting to meds, she went to see a naturopath who did some head massage, chiropractic manipulations and used essential oil swabs up into her sinus passages.
While these did offer some improvement, she was concerned that the next day the infection would come roaring back again.
At the suggestion of her next-door neighbor who is a nutritional therapist, she tried adding probiotics to her neti-pot. The naturopath also suggested alternating hot and cold packs on the forehead to encourage sinus drainage.
Immediately after using the probiotics in my neti-pot, she felt a terrible burning sensation that went on for a good ten minutes.
It was quite painful, but as it subsided, she went to bed and had a good night’s sleep. The next morning, she was surprised to find that she experienced no pain. This continued throughout the day. The horrible “ice pick” sinus pressure which was normally in full-swing by 10 a.m. was completely gone.
She repeated the neti pot protocol a few more times over the next five days along with some grapefruit seed extract (about 5 drops in 6 ounces of water twice a day). The entrenched sinus infection resolved and did not return.
Natural Prevention of Sinus Problems
Sinus issues are often a symptom of something else going on, such as yeast overgrowth or a candida problem. Making changes to your diet can help to reduce the incidence and severity of sinus problems. The need for even a natural sinus infection remedy is reduced as well. Here are some recommendations to avoid the overgrowth of yeast in the body:
- Avoid refined grains – these foods are common in our food supply and eaten frequently. They are high in carbohydrates and are converted to sugar in the body.
- Avoid meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products from commercially-raised animals fed grains, soy, and corn from factory-farmed environments. These animals and birds are given antibiotics, hormones, antibiotics, and are not allowed outside to wander, graze, and obtain fresh air and sunshine. Eating those kinds of meat, meat products, eggs, and dairy can contribute to yeast overgrowth in the body. Eat meats, dairy products, poultry, and eggs from animals raised naturally and without chemicals, hormones, or antibiotics.
- Eliminate processed and refined foods from the diet including excessive sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Steer clear of prescription drug medications such as antibiotics, steroids, birth control pills, and even over-the-counter medications. These medications can greatly contribute to yeast overgrowth and unfriendly bacteria in the digestive tract. Once entrenched in the gut, these pathogens easily spread throughout the body.
- Eat plenty of healthy fats in your diet – butter, olive oil, palm oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, pastured lard, and grass-fed tallow. These traditional, healthy fats are nutrient-dense and help your body keep away illness and disease.
- Consume plenty of cultured and fermented foods and raw dairy products from healthy cows on pasture. These foods will naturally help promote diverse and friendly bacteria in your body and help keep illness and disease away.
- Take a therapeutic-grade probiotic daily to ensure friendly bacteria support in your gut. Read this post about choosing probiotics for more information on good brands to buy.
- If you still have trouble with yeast, consider doing regular detox baths or other protocols like a coffee enema. Better still, follow a temporary, healing dietary protocol like the GAPS diet, SCD, or autoimmune paleo (AIP).
How I Resolved My Raging Sinus Infection
How to Make and Use an Onion Poultice for Congestion
Doctor Prescribed Treatment for Healing Croup Naturally
SSKI: The Best Cough Expectorant You’ve Never Tried
Power Shot: Best Green Juice for Congestion