Raw Milk Fast 2013 (Day 2)

by Sarah Raw Milk FastComments: 25

hover pose

Day 2 of Raw Milk Fast 2013 went better for some and a little worse for others.  How are you doing? Tired? Hungry? Energetic?  Let us know in the comment section below.

To compare notes with Day 2 of Raw Milk Fast 2012, click here.

Paula:  It would have been nice to rest and relax but it was another busy day at the box.  I was not nearly as hungry as yesterday and ended up with just under a gallon; my body has adjusted and my energy levels, digestion and elimination are all working smoothly.  I did a strength workout today–mainly very heavy squats and worked up to 160#–felt great, I followed with some foam rolling, a nice relaxing stretch and about 5 minutes of a decompressing savasana.

Even 5 minutes of deep breathing helps to combat the stressors of the day.  The rest of the day was again very busy with zero downtime.  I got home about 7:45 pm (a little later than usual) but it was so nice to not have to cook dinner.  That is one of my favorite things about the fast–I don’t always realize how much of my time is spent cooking/preparing food.  While I love cooking it is a nice break.  Off to a deep and restorative 8 hours of sleep.  Nite nite.

Richard:   Drank about 6 cups of milk with added tablespoons of raw cream today – the same as yesterday.  This seems to be the right amount for me.  Feeling great overall.  Excellent energy and focus.

Had a small boil emerge on my thigh which is an indication of detoxing going on.   This is a normal occurrence for me during detoxification.  It happened when I had my root canals removed and again when I had my amalgams removed years ago.

The fast is obviously doing its work!

Sarah:   I was relieved that I didn’t experience much if any hunger throughout the day today.   Such a relief after yesterday’s struggle with extreme hunger all day long even though I drank just shy of an entire gallon of raw milk!

No sign that any detoxification is going on though – no headaches or other symptoms of cleansing. Just feel great overall with excellent energy.

My friend Lori came over and gave me an hour and a half massage today at lunchtime. Ahhhh! Totally wonderful.

Rested afterward and took in a lot of milk to provide adequate fluids.  Massage can release a lot of toxins so taking in enough fluids is really important.

Sat out in the sun for awhile during the afternoon as it was such a beautiful day.  Basically took most of the day off and just relaxed which was definitely just what the doctor ordered.

The hardest part about today was making dinner for my kids.  I made barbecue chicken wings plus veggies and the smell was delicious! I think, hands down, the hardest part of a Raw Milk Fast is cooking for others when you won’t be eating any yourself.

I managed to get through dinner hour by sipping on milk the whole time.  Consumed 12 cups for the day.  2 cups were raw goat milk and the rest were raw cow milk.  Hit the hay about 10:20 and slept soundly.


Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist

Comments (25)

  • MA

    Can I do a raw milk fast while breastfeeding a 22 month old?

    March 11th, 2013 2:26 pm Reply
  • Josella

    Hi Sarah,
    I think that your website may have been hacked. I just received dozens and dozens of the same email from your site entitled , ” 12 year Vegan ….. ” . It may have been hacked by those who are the enemy of raw milk availability to an extreme degree – the pasteurized milk industry and their helpers .

    March 10th, 2013 6:14 pm Reply
  • Peggy Allen

    I am on day 2 of the fast–decided to join in on the event since we have dairy goats and make kefir and cheese–also wanted to take the opportunity to get un-addicted to coffee! It’s going ok, I expected a worse headache this am from lack of coffee. I did fine on 6 cups of goat milk, 2 cups of kefir, 1 glass of watered down homemade kombucha and 1 cup of hot herbal tea (nettle, black cohosh, myrtle). Today I may add some chevre (no pesto). Already I have had 4 cups of milk and 2 of kefir by noon. Definitely hungrier!

    March 9th, 2013 3:26 pm Reply
  • Rachel Tyson via Facebook

    *read the blog*… never mind!

    March 8th, 2013 8:33 pm Reply
  • Rachel Tyson via Facebook


    March 8th, 2013 8:30 pm Reply
  • Rachel Tyson via Facebook

    Hang on, are you only drinking raw milk for a week? Or jot drinking raw milk for a week? Or something else?

    March 8th, 2013 8:30 pm Reply
    • Sheril

      The plan is to drink raw milk while eliminating all other foods. It would be according to your individual situation and your doctors advice whether or not to take whatever meds and supplements you usually take. Drinking water in addition to the milk would be fine and good if I understand correctly.

      March 8th, 2013 11:30 pm Reply
  • Sheril

    Oops. forgot to share about how much I’m drinking. I didn’t really keep track but I know it was less than half gallon each day, so far.

    March 8th, 2013 7:05 pm Reply
  • Sheril

    I did fine with day one and day two as far as hunger and energy go. In fact I had some extra energy yesterday (day two) compared to my norm. I do have a concern though. Elimination. It seemed to be trying to completely stop although I did finally manage to have a BM. It was hard and difficult and quite a solid ball shape albeit, mostly whitish. So far today there has been no movement at all, just an occasional feeling of the need with no results. Sorry for the TMI but I’m hoping for some feedback from experienced raw-milk-fasters. I had been on GAPS since last October and had added raw milk in throughout this year. But I have never done a milk fast before.

    March 8th, 2013 7:04 pm Reply
  • Jennifer Cosper Howard via Facebook

    Today is day one for me planning on doing a 10-30 day fast. Went to the dairy for 2 weeks supply of raw milk. So far, I feel great! I <3 raw milk!!

    March 8th, 2013 5:22 pm Reply
  • Tom Beattie via Facebook

    The grass here in Ga is not yet rapidly growing. I will have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can do this.

    March 8th, 2013 4:12 pm Reply
  • Sarah Winson

    Day 2 has been easier for me. I’ve been putting the milk on the counter to get room temp first and I find it is MUCH easier to digest and not nearly as much gas! I actually crave the milk when I’m not sipping it! LOL Don’t really feel hungry either! I do have a migraine today, but they are fairly common for me so not sure if it’s from detoxing.

    March 8th, 2013 4:12 pm Reply
  • Tai

    Would you recommend this for weight loss? I am tired of the yo-yo diet and I generally lump fasting in with that, but it sounds like the Milk Cure could heal issues which cause weight gain.

    March 8th, 2013 3:38 pm Reply
  • DD

    Day two – drank about 12 cups of milk and never really struggled with hunger. My struggle was with the desire to eat even in the absence of hunger. As salmon pies baked in the oven for my family, I had to hide away with my milk and a good book! Mid afternoon, I took a long hot bath with salt and baking soda. Nothing seems to be happening except strong urine odor and some halitosis so I will add water for Day 3 as I have been drinking milk exclusively. Oh yes, weight is down by two pounds. I may go beyond Day 3 to see if elimination will become regular and if detox will start. I’m assuming since this is my first cleanse/fast of any kind in my life – that I’m full of junk. I’ll go back and read the diaries from previous years to see when all the detox symptoms kicked in for other people.

    March 8th, 2013 2:56 pm Reply
    • Liz

      Ditto with the urine and halitosis. I would love to know if that’s normal across the board or just a symptom of detox when there’s an overload of toxins in the system. Or something else entirely.

      March 10th, 2013 11:02 am Reply
  • Stephanie Finegan

    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has done a milk fast or diet while breast feeding and what were your results.

    side note: I sipped raw milk throughout my 44 hour labor, I gave birth standing up, with one foot on a chair and felt as though I could have done another 24 easily. It gave me the perfect amount of energy and strength for that Iron woman event. BTW, my little Hammie was 10lbs.

    March 8th, 2013 2:51 pm Reply
    • Joe

      That’s great, need a +one button or something.

      March 9th, 2013 10:36 pm Reply
  • Beth

    Finished my three days yesterday. I was busy all the days, so it went by quickly. We do a lunch at my church once a month, and it happened to fall on Wednesday and Thursday during the fast. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t even have the urge to quit and eat. I probably drank 8 cups of milk a day. I also drank herbal tea and komboucha.I had a slight headache the first day, but it left quickly. It was due to the fact that I gave up caffeine.. I didn’t workout until this morning. It was a pretty tough run. I’m down about 4 pounds, which I needed. At 5’9″ and 160 i feel better at a lower weight. I think I’m going to do the fast every other week for the three days.

    March 8th, 2013 2:42 pm Reply
  • Jeannie Owen Miller via Facebook

    Curious what the benefit of this kind of fast are?

    March 8th, 2013 2:11 pm Reply
  • Donna Grady via Facebook

    I agree, the hardest part was making food for my family.

    March 8th, 2013 2:06 pm Reply
  • Vikki K

    Second day went really well, although I still had cravings, especially when cooking the meal for the rest of the family. Noticed I had really awful BO. Had an Epsom salts bath which made me sweat a bit more. Slept really well.

    March 8th, 2013 1:44 pm Reply
  • jmr

    Darn, I missed the start of this by not reading the blog this week. A longer warning next year, please, for those of us who avoid the evils of Facebook. I guess I’ll start tomorrow and do it alone. I did a few days last year and enjoyed it, but I had access to only a few gallons of milk. This year, I’ve moved to a state where I can buy it in the store so I can drink as much as I want. Best wishes to everyone.

    March 8th, 2013 1:34 pm Reply
  • Dorie Gamble via Facebook

    I haven’t got to start. The cows aren’t ready.

    March 8th, 2013 1:20 pm Reply
  • Sierra

    Day two wasn’t bad until I got home from work. I had planned to do some light cycling, but I had zero energy, and the couch was calling me. At this point I decided that 48 hours was enough, so I had some brothy soup and a small salad (I chewed the heck out of it! haha). I’m still going to be doing mostly liquids and soft foods today, interspersed with milk to make the transition smoother. I feel like this process is very good for my digestion, but I did notice this time that my throat got a little mucus and my sinuses were impacted a bit, too.

    March 8th, 2013 1:19 pm Reply
  • James Mayer via Facebook


    March 8th, 2013 12:51 pm Reply

Leave a Comment