Protein Powders Rob Your HealthHealthy Living
Dirty Secrets of Protein Powder Processing
Why protein powder is unhealthy:
1. High-protein, low fat results in the depletion of fat-soluble vitamins, particularly vitamin A. Ask Randy Roach, a body builder who became blind using protein drinks. Filed as top secret in U.S. government files: People in Guatemala became blind when given skim milk powder as food aide.
2. High protein processed foods cause autoimmune problems, fatigue, thyroid problems, cancer, etc. The most fundamental lesson of traditional cultures: they never ate lean meat.
3. Proteins are very fragile–high temperature processing denatures the proteins, the body must mount an immune response.
4. Lots of additives, carcinogens formed during processing (nitrates, etc.) Others added to these powdered mixtures. Tend to be high in MSG (also
formed during processing)
5. Where does the whey protein powder come from?? It is the waste product of conventional cheese making, confinement cows, etc. This is a similar story for other protein powders. They are a waste product from manufacturing something else. Soy protein is a waste product from making soy oil, etc.
This protein powder thing is scary as this stuff is not REAL FOOD! It is amazing that health-oriented people are so scammed by the protein powder fad. If you can’t make it in your kitchen, isn’t that a huge red flag that this is a factory food that is best avoided?
Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist
The Healthy Home Economist holds a Master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Mother to 3 healthy children, blogger, and best-selling author, she writes about the practical application of Traditional Diet and evidence-based wellness within the modern household. Her work has been featured by USA Today, The New York Times, ABC, NBC, and many others.