How to Take Probiotics for Maximum Benefit

by Sarah TheHealthyHomeEconomist July 21, 2014

bottle of probiotics

Our digestive system is home to at least 500 different bacterial species.  Ideally, 85% of the bacteria in our gut is beneficial to our health.  When the vast majority of gut flora is of the friendly variety, the remaining 15% which are pathogenic bacterial strains and yeasts are easily handled and kept under control. In fact, in a well balanced gut, the friendly bacteria can actually harness some of the pathogenic strains to perform helpful functions!

The problem is that most people today have this proportion reversed with the majority of gut flora of the unfriendly variety. This tipping of the balance in favor of pathogens occurs due to antibiotic use, the birth control pill and other meds that negatively affect gut flora, and the consumption of processed foods and high amounts of sugar which feed pathogens and candida.

The health consequences of a pathogen dominated gut are many.

Diarrhea, constipation, excessive gas, bloating, allergies, eczema, irritable bowel, inflammatory bowel, kidney stones, ear infections, strep throat, colds, vaginal yeast infections, Crohn’s disease, lactose intolerance, thrush, athlete’s foot, cancer, and on and on.

The good news is that proactive steps can be taken to rectify the situation to tip the balance back in favor of the friendly bacteria and beneficial yeasts.

Read more…

15 Comments

Healthy Corn Dog Recipe

by Sarah TheHealthyHomeEconomist July 17, 2014

corn dog recipe

When I was a kid, a corn dog on a stick dipped in ketchup was one of my all time favorite foods.

Corn dogs as food?   Mmmmm.

Well, maybe not food!

“Ingestible” might be the more appropriate term here!

Even the supposedly “healthy” corn dog brand I checked out recently at the healthfood store was not acceptable. These healthfood store corn dogs contained sugar, soy flour and corn flour (all most likely of GMO origin), not to mention the unbelievably high price for a pack of 4!

While commercially produced corn dogs are a junk food unmatched by almost any other (ok, maybe sports drinks are just as bad or worse), you can make this quintessential factory food healthy if you choose whole ingredients that haven’t already been fractionated and repurposed into ingestible status.

Read more…

12 Comments

Can You Drink Yourself Skinny with Weight Loss Shakes?

by Sarah TheHealthyHomeEconomist July 16, 2014

weight loss shakes

By Sandra Brougher, CNT

Lose 20 lbs. in 30 days!”

Say goodbye to illness and regain your life!”

Don’t these marketing blurbs for weight loss shakes sound awesome?

Short, enticing phrases that are specifically designed to elicit an instantaneous, strong emotional reaction.

 “I want that!”

It is no secret that we all want to look fantastic and feel great, and the skinnier and fitter the better. Right?

Read more…

16 Comments

Low Carb Portuguese Focaccia (Gluten Free or Paleo)

by Sarah TheHealthyHomeEconomist July 15, 2014

focaccia

I’ve been puttering around in the kitchen this summer experimenting with different gluten free and grain free flours both alone and in combination.

Learning how to easily bake delicious breads, cookies and pastries with various flour combos – both grain and non-grain based – is something I am very much interested in mastering.

My reasons are mostly practical …. baking is a very easy way to successfully incorporate a variety of grains and nuts into my family’s diet.  For example, one of my children won’t eat almonds but will happily eat the ginger snaps I make with sprouted almond flour.

I must admit, though, experimenting with flours is just plain fun even when a dish doesn’t turn out exactly as I had hoped!

Low carb focaccia is one recipe I recently made which my family thoroughly enjoyed.  You can see the focaccia end result in the picture above paired with seasonal, organic lychee.

Read more…

5 Comments

The Truth about Your Morning Coffee Fix

by Sarah TheHealthyHomeEconomist July 14, 2014

coffee fixDid you know that over 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed in the world ….. every single day?

Or, that the lethal dose of caffeine in a human is about 100 cups of coffee in four hours and that coffee affects the same area of the brain as cocaine, amphetamines and heroin – just with milder effects?

These and many other interesting factoids about coffee are contained in the infographic below sent to me and used with permission by a reader in Ireland.

Read more…

19 Comments

Login to your account

Can't remember your Password ?

Register for this site!