A nutrient-dense, delicious mussels recipe combined with sausage, white wine, and flavor enhancing herbs such as garlic that also boost immunity.
Slice the garlic and let stand on a plate for about 15 minutes. This allows time for the maximum amount of nutritious sulfur compounds like allicin to form.
Place saute pan on a medium to high flame.
Add 1 TBS butter to pan and melt.
When butter has stopped foaming, add sausage and saute for 2 minutes.
Add 1/2 the sliced garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add mussels and saute, getting the mussels coated in butter, salami and garlic (another 2 minutes or so).
When the mussels open, add the 1/2 cup of wine and cover for 3 minutes.
Uncover and check to see if all the mussels have opened (when a mussels holds tight and does not give up its shell it is not fit to eat. please do not pry it open).
Remove mussels from the pan with tongs and place in a clean bowl.
To the boiling liquid, add the rest of the garlic, 3 TBS of butter and the chopped parsley and allow to reduce for a minute or two.
Put the mussels back into the liquid to incorporate all flavors.
Using tongs put the mussels back in the bowl, pour the broth with sausage over the top and serve.
Enjoy this delicious mussels and sausage dish with a glass of the same wine you cooked the mussels in!
1. Use bacon lardons (or pancetta or guanciale) instead of sausage.
- saute bacon lardons in medium - high pan to render fat.
- remove the cooked bacon and hold.
- add garlic to the bacon fat, then the mussels, saute and hit with wine.
- follow the above instructions but put the bacon back in when the mussels go back in before serving.
2. Use mixed fresh herbs instead of just parsley.
- roughly chop parsley, cilantro, basil and chives
3. Use coconut milk instead of butter and wine
- saute the sausage, garlic and mussels in coconut oil.
- add 1 cup coconut milk and a few thin slices of fresh ginger.
- throw in a kefir lime leaf for good measure (available at most Asian markets).
- add chopped cilantro and whole leaves of purple thai basil (if available) at the end.