I’ve spent a good part of the weekend at a soccer tournament, so cooking was really the last thing I had time for. This evening, with three very hungry kids, I decided to whip up the eternal favorite for dinner: pizza made with homemade pizza crust.
There really aren’t any decent pizza crusts that can be purchased at the store at the moment. There used to be a great one from French Meadow, but it was discontinued and I haven’t been able to find a satisfactory replacement.
So, here’s my homemade pizza crust which takes basically 15 minutes to both mix up and bake .. then it is ready for topping. Dinner in less than 30 minutes.
Pizza that is actually healthy and that is prepared faster than Dominoes or Papa John’s can drive one to your house! I use sprouted wheat flour as it is so much more digestible and nutritious than plain wheat flour.
Plus, sprouting the flour breaks down gluten, that hard to digest protein that almost everyone has trouble with these days even if you are asymptomatic and think you digest it just fine (hint: you probably don’t digest gluten very well considering that the majority of folks suffer from some sort of digestive complaint and gluten is one of the primary suspects in these cases!).
*Check out my recipe homemade pizza sauce made in only one minute!
Homemade Pizza Crust
Makes 2 – 13″ homemade pizza crust
2 cups sprouted whole wheat flour (where to find)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2/3 cup whole milk (where to find)
1/4 cup expeller coconut oil (where to find)
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder (where to find)
1 tsp dried basil (where to find)
1 tsp dried oregano (where to find)
1 tsp onion powder (where to find)
2 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
1 tsp unrefined sea salt (where to find)
1. Heat oven to 425 F/218 C.
2. Measure ingredients in a bowl.
3. Stir vigorously until mixture leaves the side of the bowl.
4. Gather dough together with your hands and press into a ball.
5. Knead dough in bowl 10 times to make smooth then divide dough in half.
6. On lightly floured suface roll each half into a 13″ circle.
7. Place on Pizza pan.
8. Turn up edges 1/2″ and pinch.
9. Brush circles with 2T of olive oil.
10. Bake homemade pizza crust for 10 minutes.
11. Remove pizza crusts from oven.
13. Add toppings to your homemade pizza crust and bake for 5-10 minutes until it looks done.
Other Healthy Pizza Crust Recipes
Love this homemade pizza crust? Here are some other homemade pizza crust ideas.
Breakfast Pizza Crust
Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist
Subscribe today and gain access to my exclusive & FREE weekly newsletter packed with the latest health news, Real Food recipes, video how-to's, special discounts and much more!